5 Dialogue Editing Tools We Couldn’t Live Without
Dialogue editing usually plays some part in the projects we do and over the years we’ve refined the tools we use as new ones have come onto the market and made the job easier and quicker.
There are many tools we use depending on the source material but this list is our top 5 that we use the most.
1. RX7 Advanced by Izotope – Where would we be without RX….. probably noisier or alot poorer due to buying Cedar! In all seriousness this is the number one tools we couldn’t live without when editing dialogue. We use it for everything from EQ matching, removing lip smacks, ambience matching and de-rustling to de-noising ranging from tonal repair to removing unwanted birds. We simply couldn’t get the results we do without it.
2. Auto Align Post by Sound Radix – Since this plug-in came out last year it has become indispensable to our workflow. It’s used to get various mics, such as a boom and lavalier, in phase even when the phase is shifting around! We tend to use it at the conform stage and it has literally saved us hours of work manually lining up audio from various mics.
3. Fade Tool/Window in Pro Tools – The fade tool and window is without a doubt our most used tool when dialogue editing. We use it as part of the smart tool as well as selecting a region to apply a fade too and opening the fade window(Command + F). For speed we have a number of fade presets set up on hot keys on our controller so we can quickly create fades with one click, a great shortcut that you can assign to a key command.
4. Defaulter by Quite Art – This handy plug-in enables us to get our dialogue clips to have a chosen integrated loudness by adjusting the clip gain automatically. It analyses each clip or selection of clips and adjust the clip gain so that they sit at your chosen integrated loudness(-23dBfs in our case). A great tool for ensuring the volume of our dialogue is consistent and in the correct ballpark for broadcast.
5. Paste Special(Repeat to Fill Selection): Command+Option+V – We use this function all the time to paste room tone into a selected. A very handy tool for this repetitive task as it saves you constantly copying a section of room tone to paste somewhere.